There are situations where it is advisable to consult a mental health professional:
- you feel overwhelmed by various situations, you feel that you no longer face problems or have the energy for daily activities
- you are often depressed, tired and cannot sleep well
- you want to make a decision and have difficulties in doing so
- you go through a period of adaptation (you have changed your workplace, something new/ special happened in your life etc.)
- your children are going through difficult times or encounter difficulties adapting to the school environment, maybe in the new place, and you do not know how to manage this situation
- you want to have a more effective communication with people around you
- you want to find new resources and solutions for your needs in order to solve the difficulties you encounter
- you experience situations that you do not know how to manage, related to work, family or relationships
- you often feel stressed and anxious
- you want to find your own personal or professional path
Being aware that you need a mental health professional is the first step in solving your problems, but you still have to find a good one, able to really help you. If you choose a specialist that does not meet your needs, you risk doing more harm than good, so make sure you take the time to do the right choice.
A reliable source in your search for a good mental health professional is your doctor. They certainly have many connections with different specialists and can provide you some useful guidance.
After finding a few names, search the Internet for information about them. You should be able to find out about their specializations, certifications and experience in treating mental health issues. If this information is not available online, make a call to their office and ask everything you need to know. You should also be interested in finding more about their work schedule, the cancellation policy and payment options.
Schedule a meeting and make sure you feel comfortable in the presence of the person in front of you, because this is one of the most important aspects you could consider when choosing a mental health professional.
This person is not there to be your friend, but it does not mean you do not have to feel at ease in their presence. Make sure you feel comfortable enough to trust them, to open your soul and mind without fear, and have no reason to hide information or to lie about some things.
Not feeling at ease with the specialist you choose, prevents you from receiving the help you need. If that`s the case, you should look for another specialist. You have the right to do this at any point, because there is no obligation to continue if you feel uncomfortable and do not get the results you need.
Avoid the so-called health professionals who claim to be experts in too many forms of therapy. You risk to deal with an amateur or someone who wants nothing but to fill their schedule. Make sure the health specialist you choose has adequate qualifications and accreditations. Instead look for one who obtained behavioral health jobs near me so they are right in your community and have built caring relationships with those in the community.